SRM and Wuggeh! SRM and Wuggeh!

Strangely enjoyable for what it was.

Considering the fact that the jokes didn't appeal to my sense of humour I found this flash strangely enjoyable. There were a lot of poor things about this flash, but somehow what you had managed to work. My main complaint about the movie would be that it was too short and nothing much really took place in it. A few cracks were made and then it was all over before I felt it really got started. I would have liked to have seen an actual plot, but I'm guessing this is something I'll be seeing in some of your other SRM flashes.

Back to the bad elements of this movie. I didn't like how there were a number of different graphical styles for different objects. Thick lines for SRM, thin lines for objects and squiggly paintbrush for the cat. It made everything look out of place, although you may have been aiming for this. The audio levels for the voice and sound effects seemed to be a little too high and the dialogue was somewhat distorted. This was possibly due to the mouth being too close to the microphone.

Battosai810 responds:

One thing you might notice - SRM's jaw actually flushes with his body, instead of partially overlapping it like in the newer cartoons. As a result, there's a hastily scribbled layer over it all where I fill in the gap every frame. It's a gradient too and doesn't line up with anything.

This was still before I had a really solid art style, so your remarks about the disparaging visuals is right on the dot. This was still during the early period when my microphone was absolute garbage, and I didn't know how to turn up audio quality in Flash.

I like that you're going through all my cartoons in roughly chronological order. It's fun for me to read your reviews on them!

Jebby Tells a Story Jebby Tells a Story

Nothing I haven't seen before.

The style of the flash just seemed to be a bunch of random events strung together along with some poor graphics. I've seen many flashes like this before and I can't say it's really something I like seeing. I got the impression that this flash may have been done in jest, but it's not always so easy to tell. I felt this was especially the case for this flash as usually such joke flashes tend to have really crazy things going on with the graphics, or will feature some sort of well-animated crudely-drawn graphic. Neither of these were present here. There was the fact that one of the lines making up the door wasn't straight, as well as a line that randomly moved to a different position on the wooden floor. However, this wasn't still enough to make it apparent whether this was a total joke or not as they were very subtle errors. The humour wasn't my cup of tea either, so I was unable to enjoy the essence of the movie.

Again, the voices were difficult to understand, so the inclusion of subtitles was a relief. The famous white line from your early work also appeared at the top of the screen during the credits. My final complaint about this flash is that I'd have preferred a play button to replay the movie at the end of the credits instead of it ending with a white screen.

If this whole flash was done in jest then I wouldn't mind seeing another attempt at such a movie from you. It would be interesting to see how you've improved your skills over the years at trying to make a bad flash.

Battosai810 responds:

If you want to see my attempts at intentionally bad Flash animations, watch all three of my "Warhammer 40k: Dawn of Awesome" cartoons. They're the kind of intentionally bad stuff I like.

This cartoon was not intentionally bad, but it was made when I was far worse at Flash. My storytelling and art skills were underdeveloped to say the least. This was in the fairly random humor category that a lot of bad Flash is, I won't lie. Your mention of "one well animated" bit made me think of the eye lasers part. At the time, I was really proud of how the sound synced up to it and the subtle-ish frame by frame color change I did. I'd say it aged about as well as anything else in the Flash - IE: not very well. The gradients all go to white too, which is kind of eye-searing.

I appreciate these reviews of old cartoons. I personally like watching my oldest stuff like this since it's fun to see how far I've come, and your reviews give me reason to revisit them.

Jeb City part 3 Jeb City part 3

Hmm.

In terms of quality it was more or less the same as the second part, although in my eyes not quite as enjoyable. I felt that this was largely due to the change in humour, as it seemed a little more childish and predictable this time round (such as the falling down at the end for example).

Regarding the sound; this time I didn't notice any crackling in the dialogue, but the issue with the sound levels of the music and the dialogue being too close on occasions remained. As a result of this I couldn't make out all of the dialogue between the two guards, something which wasn't displayed on screen in text form. The banging sound effect was also too loud and completely drowned out the dialogue. I also found a few of the sound effects to be somewhat annoying and couldn't help but wish you had chosen different ones.

Once again the issue with a line on the border occurred. This time a white one during one of the scenes at the start of the flash.

Battosai810 responds:

Jebediah falling over at the end was actually a misguided attempt at drama - it's not uncommon for the hero to die in a noir story, and having him succumb to his bullet wounds after getting his revenge seemed appropriate. Of course, I was a very hamhanded Flash artist back then and wasn't terribly good at storytelling.

I'm pretty sure this cartoon was after I got my good microphone, but before I knew how to change sound quality in Flash. I guess I didn't know how to change sound levels either, because watching this again made me really notice how awful the audio mixing was.

Thanks for reviewing the whole series - it's interesting to go back and rewatch my oldest cartoons with a new state of mind.

NSG014: ASFree NSG014: ASFree

It would appear that I win...

but quite frankly I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing. I kept finding all these random trails and clicking on them in various places until eventually I received a message saying I'd won. Maybe the game could have started with a more in-depth tutorial explaining exactly what it was you were supposed to be doing. None the less I thoroughly enjoyed this flash. Good job on creating a game that doesn't use actionscript by the way. :)

Lots of love, Rebecca Rose.

Bezman responds:

Well, obviously you worked it out. The black circles indicate where you should click next.

The problem with an in-depth tutorial is that because nothing can be skipped, folk would have to play through it at the same speed. I chose to potentially frustrate some people rather than boring others. As you proved, the starting instructions are all the 'tutorial' that's needed. ;-p

Glad you enjoyed it nonetheless. :-)

[MC] Santa's Sleigh [MC] Santa's Sleigh

The world's greatest side-scrolling shooter.

I loved every second of this. It was great fun flying around in Santa's sleigh shooting down those elves. It's hard for me to take myself away from the game to write this review, but I feel that I must let you know how amazing this game was. Keep these games coming :)

wesdood responds:

WHY THANK YOU

Best Christmas Collab Best Christmas Collab

Movies and games. What more could you want?

Well I have to say that this was a surprise. I wasn't expecting games to be included at all. I'm certainly pleased they were though, since they were great fun to play. I expect you'll be getting a call from Nintendo sometime soon, asking if your game can be remade for the Wii. This couldn't be any better than it was. I could play those games all day long.

wesdood responds:

than you should. and vote 5 again.